The fact that the Westboro Baptist Church has announced it will be protesting at Sundance says something about how homocentric the festival is. The Festival Director, John Cooper, is gay. Several gay directors have premiered their gay movies there: Lisa Cholendenko ("The Kids are Alright"), Lee Daniels ("Precious"), Greg Araki ("The Living End", "Mysterious Skin", "Kaboom"), Gasper Noe ("Irreversile","Enter the Void" ) and this year’s Dee Rees (“Pariah”), Jess Peretz (“My Idiot Brother”), Maryam Keshavarz (“Circumstance”), and Amor Hakkar (“A Few Days of Respite”). One movie title is even a lesbian personal add "Codependent Lesbian Space Alien Seeks Same". Those who’ve attended the festival know that a large percentage of the audiences are gay. I say this every year, but if it weren’t for the gays, the Sundance Film Festival would hardly exist.
Realize that being gay isn’t the only reason I go to Sundance (even though really I view it as “Gay General Conference”). I go because I am obsessed with movies. I’m not exactly sure why but it has something to do with my love of art, beauty, poetry, music, and witty dialogue (oh, and sex, and violence). Isn’t that why people go to church?
Friday, January 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment